This series of post try to list down possible steps to install SDL Web 8 on a virtual machine. This specific post will list down steps to install SDL Web8 Content Manager modules.
Further Assumption – The installation will assume using x64 machine with MS SQL Server DB as back-end.
Before you starts Installation and Setup, please refer this post for the SDL Web 8 Prerequisite.
The step-by-step guide to install SDL Web 8 Content Manager is as below:
- Get ready with a Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64) or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64) VM and logged into it with you Content Manager Administrator User.
- Ensure you have checked for windows update and download/install them
- Install MS SQL Server 2014 or MS SQL Server 2012 R2 SP2
- Again check for windows update and download/install them after MS-SQL Server installation
- Create an MTS User – Preferably with Admin rights – If you have issues with Admin rights, you may refer this post of Minimum Access Rights for MTS User
- Open Windows Powershell by right clicking as choosing “Run As Administrator”
- Navigate to the below SDL Web8 Installation media path in powershell – .\SDL_Web_8\Database\mssql
- Create Content Manager Database as per the below screenshot:
- Create Broker Database as per the below screen sheet:
- Create Discovery Service Database as per below screen shot:
- Create Preview Session (XPM) Database as per the below screen shot:
- Create Topology Manager Database as per the below screen shot:
Install Content Manager
- Navigate to the SDL Web Installation Media and run SDLWeb8CM.exe by right clicking and choosing “Run as administrator”
- Select SDL Web features you want to install and click “Next”:
In case you want to install Audience Manager and Outbound EMail, User Generated Content and Translation Manager – you first need to create the respective Database like we have created other database in earlier section.
- Next the setup will shows you all the missing prerequisite which SDL Web must have to work properly – You need to accept to install these missing prerequisite:
- Once the prerequisites are all installed, you need to provide details of your MTS User:
- Next enter the details of Content Manager DB as created in earlier step:
- Next enter the details of Topology Manager DB as created in earlier step:
- Next enter the Environment ID – this is typically to identify your CM instance in case of a scaled out and/or load balanced environment. For a standalone environment, you can leave it default:
- Next Provides the access details of Tridion Website – In host header provide the DNS using which you will be accessing the SDL Tridion CM instance – I would (personally) recommend it leaving blank in case of non-registered DNS names.
- Similarly provides details of SDL Web Topology Manager website in the next step:
- Next Enter details for various Topology Manager groups – if you are unsure what you are doing – leave them to default:
- Next Enter the Content Manager root URL as per the details given above:
- Next Enter the path for your Content Manager License (license.xml) and Content Delivery License (cd_licenses.xml):
- Next wait for the installation process to finish:
- If the installation succeed, you will be prompted with a success screen and will ask you to restart the machine – Restart the machine to complete the installation:
Once the system restarts, you may access the SDL Tridion Manager explorer to manage your data with the Content Manager Website url given in the earlier step
NEXT – Installing SDL Web 8 – Content Delivery Setup (will be Published soon)