What changes in SDL Web 8
After a long wait, SDL finally launched SDL Web 8 – The next version of their flagship Digital Experience platform. There are many new features and quite a few significant changes has been made in it from the previous version of SDL Tridion 2013. Few of these changes/new features has been listed as below:
In SDL Web 8, the architecture takes a sharp change – majorly in the way items are published from CM side to the CD side. The Content Delivery architecture has a major changes in the architecture where the CD is now available as a service (CDaaS). On the CM side as well there are few changes in the form of Publishing Management and introduction of Topology Manager enhancing the content synchronization to a seamless and easy process.
The below diagram tries to summarizes the very high level architecture:
This is the major addition in this version and quite interesting as well. As per the SDL documentation, Topology manager provides a bridge between the Content Manager and the Content Delivery.
The Topology Manager:
- Decouples the CM and CD environments
- Has no extension points and clients
- Has DB which is created during the installation and contains information about where to publish (purpose)
- Allows easy Content Synchronization – Like migrating the CM instance from one environment to another environment without worrying about the publishing information
- Allows Migrating/Replacing the Content Delivery stack easily – like moving from the On Premise CD setup to the Cloud Based setup
- Along with CDaaS, allows separating concerns by specific roles in an organization
Business Process Type
A Business Process Type contains a collection of configuration settings which specifies a typical business process for your content – both while managing it as well as while it is published – In simple words, this specifies how a content is allowed to flow with in an organization before and after the publishing.
Discovery service deployed on the Content Delivery server and provides an end point to which the Topology Manager connects and discovers various Content Delivery “Capabilities” (or functionalities) exposes by the the Content Delivery.
Content Interaction Services
These are various RESTFul micro-services which provides interactions with Content Data Store and other content delivery database. Various Content Delivery “Capabilities” are exposed using these Content Interaction Services